st: cut string variables

From   "susanne neckermann" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: cut string variables
Date   Mon, 22 May 2006 13:41:46 +0000

Hello,
I cannot open a data set in my intercooled Stata version because one of the variables is a string with 102 characters and intercooled Stata only allows for 80.
I can open the data set at a friend's computer who has the full version of stata. But we have not found out, what the command is to cut the length of this particular string. so that we can change the data set and I can work with it on my computer.
It would be o.k., if only the first 50 characters or so remain.

Can you help?
Thank you very much.
Greetings from Switzerland,
Susanne