Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Direct standardization

From   "Claus Dethlefsen / Aalborg Sygehus" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Direct standardization
Date   Thu, 18 May 2006 15:19:18 +0200

Dear list

I would like to combine strate with dstdize to arrive at age-adjusted incidence rates for strata defined by sex and smoking.

My data are organized to work with strate - something like:

stset ageout, enter(time agein) failure(case==1) id(id)
stsplit agegr, at(0 1 5(5)100)
strate sex agegr smoking, per(1000)

But I would like to get the age-adjusted rates instead using eg. a European standard population in a direct standardization. I know that the standard populations are not detailed into strata of smoking and sex, but I would like at least to adjust these by age.

How can I adjust the output from strate using dstdize?

I hope someone can help,

Claus Dethlefsen, MSc, PhD
Biostatistiker ved Kardiovaskulært Forskningscenter

Forskningens Hus
Aalborg Sygehus
Sdr. Skovvej 15
9000 Aalborg