Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: using pwd in an if statement

From   "Christopher W. Ryan" <>
Subject   Re: st: using pwd in an if statement
Date   Tue, 16 May 2006 16:38:04 -0400

Thank you, Nick and Nick, for the advice.

I installed the -fastcd- package, and it works nicely.

So if I want to keep everything related to one project (command log, output log, data) in that project's directory, then my choices seem to be:

1. always use full path names
2. always -cd- to the proper directory at the beginning of a Stata session (or the beginning of a do-file), using full path name or the -fastce- package, and then can use relative (short) file names.

Do I have that right?

Christopher W. Ryan, MD
and Wilson Family Practice Residency, Johnson City, NY
GnuPG and PGP public keys available at

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea." [Antoine de St. Exupery]

Nick Winter wrote:

The package -fastcd- on SSC has a utility called -c- designed for just this sort of issue. It allows you to set up a set of associations between directory and mnemonics-- such as "hannah" for "C:\data\scholar\Hannah", and so on. Then you can type "c hannah" and you will be switched to that directory.

The package name is fastcd; once you install the package, note that you have to type

. help fastcd

for help. The command, howver, is "c". This is a side effect of me naming the command a single letter--something Stata advises against. Stata has subsequently taken back "help c" to point to help on the c() macros.

--Nick Winter