st: Changing 2 columns of repetitive ASCII data into many columnssorted by variable

From   Simon Wheeler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Changing 2 columns of repetitive ASCII data into many columnssorted by variable
Date   Fri, 12 May 2006 13:09:52 +0100

Dear All

I have recently purchased a dataset which contains food codes in 7-bit ASCII format from the UK Food Standards Agency. However, they are not yet in a format that I can use for any meaningful analysis and their technicial support is unable to assist.

The data as they stand fall into 2 columns: varname|value. NUMB is the food code - i.e. the variable that I want to sort the data by.

I would like to have all of the other variables along the top as separate columns, so that I end up with individual food codes and their nutrient values - see below. With these data I can then do dietary analysis.

This format goes on for several thousand different food codes, over and over. Codes are separated by the line ***

How it is now:

RECTYPE 1
NUMB 14002
CONST 50852
PREV 50852
GROUP FA
NAME Apples, cooking, raw, peeled
EDPOR 1
WATER 87.7
TOTNIT 0.05
PROT 0.3
FAT 0.1
CHO 8.9
KCALS 35
KJ 151
STAR Tr
TOTSUG 8.9
GLUC 2
FRUCT 5.9
SUCR 1
MALT 0
LACT 0
SOUTHFIB 2.2
ENGFIB 1.6
CELL 0.6
SOLNCP 0.6
INSOLNCP 0.4
LIGNIN Tr
NA 2
***
RECTYPE 1
NUMB 14003
CONST 50853
PREV 50853
GROUP FA
NAME Apples, cooking, weighed with skin and core
EDPOR 0.73
WATER 63.1

etc

What I would like to have:

Code | Description | Group | Water | Fat | CHO | Protein | Sodium | Potassium

14001 | Apples | Fruit | 26 | 5.1 | 4.2 | 3.6 | 0.1 | 0.04
14002 | Oranges | Fruit | etc

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to arrange the data into something I can use?

Thanks,

Simon Wheeler

*
* For searches and help try: