Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: -shorth- available from SSC

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: -shorth- available from SSC
Date   Fri, 12 May 2006 12:26:36 +0100

Thanks to Kit Baum, a new -shorth- program is
now downloadable from SSC, using

. ssc inst shorth

It requires Stata 8.2 or above.

The executive summary follows below. Please note
that the help file includes detailed explanation
and discussion, and also a reference list. This is work
in progress -- I have not read all of the references I cite
yet, for example -- so comments are especially welcome.

. ssc desc shorth

package shorth from

      'SHORTH': module for descriptive statistics based on shortest halves

      shorth calculates descriptive statistics based on the shortest
      half of the distribution of each variable or group specified:
      the shorth, the mean of values in that shortest half; the
      midpoint of that half, which is the least median of squares
      estimate of location; and the length of the shortest half.
      KW: robust
      KW: descriptive
      KW: shorth
      KW: LMS