Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: reshape

From   "Hans J. Baumgartner" <>
Subject   st: reshape
Date   Fri, 12 May 2006 11:59:42 +0200

Dear statalist,

I would like to reshape quite a huge number of variables. Is it possible
to use the reshape command without specifying each single variable? Or can
I circumnavigate this problem creating a local that contains all variables
in the data set so that I can implement the local in the reshape command?

What I am having looks something like this:

Varnames : X_1 Y_1 Z_1        X_2 Y_2 Z_2

reshape long X_ Y_ Z_ , i(id) j(time)

How can I use the command without specifying X_ Y_ Z_ ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hans J. Baumgartner
Dept. Public Economics
DIW Berlin