Statalist The Stata Listserver

RE: st: Getting a random sample from panel data

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Getting a random sample from panel data
Date   Wed, 10 May 2006 21:23:35 +0100

I am not clear what Stas has in mind here.

As far as I can see the official -sample-
command has no -cluster()- option.

However, this question arose quite recently
on Statalist. Scott Merryman and I put our answers together as
an FAQ:

How can I sample clusters, not individuals?

The Statalist FAQ does advise you to look at the FAQs
before posting.

Stas Kolenikov
> you should be able to tweak -sample- with -cluster- option for your
> purposes. It selects the whole cluster, in your case, the whole panel.

Christer Thrane