Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: reshape, dropping empty variables

From   daphna bassok <>
Subject   st: reshape, dropping empty variables
Date   Wed, 03 May 2006 09:05:35 -0700

I am having a bit of challenging time with the reshape command in stata, and was hoping someone had some advice.

I have 8 years of data, and it is currently in long format. I have a large number of variables in the dataset. Some of the variables have data for all eight years, but many have data only for 2002-2005 or alternatively only for 1998-2001. Therefore, when I reshape the data from long to wide, I end up with a huge number of "empty" variables, that have no values at all, and are therefore unnecessary.

I am looking for a way to drop all these empty variables, without inspecting one at a time.

Is there a quick way to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

* For searches and help try: