Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Clustering and fixed effects

From   "Yvonne Capstick" <>
Subject   st: Clustering and fixed effects
Date   Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:42:46 -0400

If I wish to run firm fixed effects in a panel data regression (firm x years), an efficient way of doing this is "xtreg y x, i(firm)".

An alternative is "qui tab firm, gen dum" and then "reg y x dum*". The first method I prefer as I don't see all of the coefficients on the dummy variables (which I am not interested in) and so the log files are substantially shorter.

I now wish to cluster standard errors by firm as well (since the FE only removes any constant term). However, I cannot seem to use the "cluster" command within xtreg: the only thing I can do is "reg y x dum*, cluster(firm)". But with this method I see all of the coefficients on the dummy variables, which I don't want to. Is there a way of having both clustered standard errors and FE without seeing the FE coefficients?

Thanks, Yvonne

On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how to get there!

* For searches and help try: