Re: st: lnskew0

From   Ron�n Conroy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: lnskew0
Date   Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:25:09 +0100

On 19 Aib 2006, at 17:57, Vivien W. Chen wrote:

I've got a question about using lnskew0 to create a variable that transform
skewness as zero. For some unknown reason, I can successfuly create for some
variables, but some failed. I list the error message as below. Please help if
you know the answer. Thanks!

Vivien

.tab mmwkdep

how well
youcould
manage
working
depression | Freq. Percent Cum.
------------+-----------------------------------
0 14,474 70.00 70.00
1 | 4,429 21.42 91.42
2 | 1,293 6.25 97.67
3 | 481 2.33 100.00
------------+-----------------------------------
Total | 296 100.00

.lnskew0 mmwkdepLG=mmwkdep
variable z_ not found
r(111);

Reproducible on Stata/SE 9.2 on OS X. The command works fine on the mpg variable from the auto dataset, so this may be a problem with your very short scale.

Note that trying to eliminate the skew from a variable whose four values seem to represent ordered categories doesn't seem to have an immediate clear justification. What are you trying to accomplish?

=========
Ron�n Conroy
[email protected]
+353 (0) 1 402 2431