Mata help (was: Re: st: mata courses?)

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Mata help (was: Re: st: mata courses?)
Date   Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:34:10 -0500

Bill Gould <[email protected]> in answering a Mata related
question said:

> ... In the meantime, the statements and functions of Mata are
> indeed powerful, and it is useful to read about colon-operators
> and sum().  To find the first help file, type -help mata-, then
> click on [M-2], then click on op_colon.  To find sum(), type
> -help mata-, click on [M-4], then on utility, then on sum().

A good way to dive into Mata is starting with -help mata- and
clicking on down from there as Bill suggests.  I also want to
point out a way to get directly to the hlp file for a particular
mata function without having to guess the needed clicks starting
from -help mata-.

Stata's help system understands requests that end in parens to be
requests for help on functions, and a help request that starts
with "mata" indicates you are interested in mata.  So,

    help cos()

shows you the help for Stata's -cos()- function, and

    help mata cos()

shows you the help for Mata's -cos()- function.

If you are looking at someone's Mata code (such as examples
posted by Bill and others in answering questions on statalist)
and want to learn more about a Mata function that they used, you
can get directly to the appropriate help as shown above.

Ken Higbee    [email protected]
StataCorp     1-800-STATAPC