Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Storing a correlation matrix

From   Marcello Pagano <>
Subject   Re: st: Storing a correlation matrix
Date   Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:28:19 -0400

Thanks Bill and Nick. As always, there are more than one way to do what one wants in Stata. In this instance, Adrian Mander's -matpwcorr- does exactly what I want and it also gives me the Bonferroni-ps and I can plot the whole with his -plotmatrix- ! What more can a man ask for!!

Thanks to all who responded.

William Gould, Stata wrote:

Marcello Pagano <> wrote,

Bill Gould in 1999 answered the question of how to store pairwise correlations of a varlist in a matrix--basically calculate the covariance matrix and then convert it into a correlation matrix. The problem with that answer is that it does not use all the data--basically the difference between -corr-and -pwcorr-. Does anyone have a better answer, one that uses all the data, like -pwcorr- does?

One solution would be the following Mata function,