Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Bell Curve of Predicted Values

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Bell Curve of Predicted Values
Date   Fri, 14 Apr 2006 22:12:01 +0100 (BST)

I this what you are looking for?

*--------begin example----------
sysuse auto, clear
reg price mpg foreign
predict yhat, xb
hist yhat, normal
*-------end example------------

--- Randall <> wrote:
> I have a multivariate OLS regression, and I am only
> interested in the predicted value of the outcome
> (y-hat).  I am also interested in the sensitivity of
> this predicted outcome, and would like to show this in
> a graph, specifically a bell curve.  Does anyone know
> a way to create a graph which can show a bell curve of
> predicted values? (i.e. probability on the y-axis and
> predicted values on the x-axis)
> I can get the predicted value, and I can get 95%
> confidence intervals for predicted values in Stata
> using the method of Woolridge, 2nd Ed., p. 206.  This
> way calls for adjusting the data and re-running the
> regression so that the constant's 95% confidence
> intervals are those of the predicted values.  But this
> is merely two more points in the bell curve; I am
> looking for the entire distribution graphically.

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting adress:

+31 20 5986715

24 FIFA World Cup tickets to be won with Yahoo! Mail