From   "Jian Liu" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: ordinal response variables in logistic regression
Date   Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:25:16 -0400

Thank you, Richard.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Richard Williams
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 3:07 PM
Subject: Re: st: ordinal response variables in logistic regression

At 12:43 PM 4/13/2006, Jian Liu wrote:
>Dear list -members,
>Please ignore it if you have read it before.
>I'm trying to use logistic regression models to analyze the association
>between SES and physical activity levels. My dependent variable is physical
>activity level, which are grouped into three levels:  a. regularly (ref),
>occasionally, and infrequently. My questions are:
>1. Can I conduct two separated logistic regression models to examine the
>impact of SES on physical activity levels
>     a. DV (regularly vs occasionally)
>     b. DV (regularly vs infrequently)
>or I have to run logistic regression with physical activity levels as
>ordinal response variables?
>2. if using two separated models is acceptable, is there anything missing
>comparing to using logistic regression with ordinal response variables?
>3. what is the stata codes for this type analysis?

You most likely want the Stata routines -ologit- or -oprobit-.  Other
routines that might be appropriate include mlogit (which makes no
ordinality assumption), slogit, oglm, gologit2 or goprobit.  To get a
better rundown on your alternatives, see the excellent Long and Freese book:

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX:    (574)288-4373
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu