Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Proportion tests for non-binary variables

From   "Austin Nichols" <austinnichols@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Proportion tests for non-binary variables
Date   Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:49:48 -0400

Hervé <stolowy@hec.fr> wants to see if a categorical variable is the
same in a subpopulation as in the population, I think.  Jeff Pitblado
gives a solution for comparing two categorical variables, not subject
to that restriction, by reshaping (though from Hervé's post, I think
he made x1 and x2 from a dataset containing only x).  If my
interpretation is correct, I think Hervé might actually prefer a Chi^2
goodness-of-fit test (-findit chi2fit-).

OTOH, if the total sample is not the population, then a test of
equality of proportions in the whole sample (samp==1 | samp==0) and in
a subsample defined by samp==1 is given by a Chi^2 test of
independence of x tabulated versus samp:
. tab x samp, chi2

No variable creation or rehaping, required, I think, for Hervé's data.