Re: st: RE: Econometrically sound to use Mills ratio after mprobit?

From   "R.E. De Hoyos" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Econometrically sound to use Mills ratio after mprobit?
Date   Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:55:33 +0100

Stephen,

You are assuming that the selection problem in a multinomial context can be accounted for by the same technique as in the binary problem (Heckman 1979). Using the multinomial logit as the first-step estimation, Bourguignon et al. (2004) have shown that this is not the right way to approach the problem.

Generally speaking, the selection problem in a multinomial context can be define as:

y1 = xb + u1
y^*_m = zl + u_m, m = 1...M (outcomes)

Where y^* is a latent function and E(u1 | x,z)=0. Define p1...pM as the conditional probabilities of observing each of the M outcomes. Then, the selectivity-adjusted y1 can be estimated as:

y1 = xb + mu(p1...pM) + e1

You would need to take into account the conditional probabilities of observing NOT ONLY outcome (1) but all other outcomes as well. The problem is how to parameterize function mu(.)?

Rafa
PS. I have a working paper version of the reference, if you are interested I can send it to you off-list.

Reference:

F. Bourguignon, M. Fournier & M. Gurgand, �Selection bias corrections based on the multinomial logit model : Monte-Carlo comparisons�, Journal of Economic Surveys, forthcoming

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Johnston" <[email protected]>