Re: st: Dichotomizing a Variable

Subject   Re: st: Dichotomizing a Variable
Date   Fri, 7 Apr 2006 14:28:37 -0400

clear
sysuse auto
set seed 040706
su rep78, d
g select=uniform() if rep78==r(p50)
g d=(rep78<r(p50)) if !mi(rep78)
sort select
su select
replace d=1 if _n<(r(N)+1)/2
replace d=round(uniform()) if _n==(r(N)+1)/2
tab rep78 d

guarantees an even split of median values, except when there are an
odd number of obs with the median value, in which case it randomly
picks one of the two "most even" splits possible.
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do that?