st: psmatch2 and matching within the metropolitan area

From   Hui-shien Tsao <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: psmatch2 and matching within the metropolitan area
Date   Fri, 07 Apr 2006 12:41:28 -0400

Hi all ---

I am using psmatch2 to conduct propensity score matching. My data is a pool of cases from four metropolitan areas. I would like to match the treated tracts to the untreated tracts within the same metropolitan area. I have tried to create dummy variables to control for metropolitan areas. However, some of the matches still pick tracts from a different metropolitan area. Is there any way I can match within the same metropolitan area? Thank you for your help in advance.

Hui-shien

*****
Here is my syntax:

gen random=uniform()
sort random
psmatch2 treat metro1 metro2 metro3 var1 var2 var3 var4, logit neighbor(1) common trim(3)

A simplified data structure:

id metro treat Var1 Var2 Var3
1 1 1 1 4 4
2 1 0 2 1 3