Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: -xmlsave- to Excel (for Mac?)

From (Kevin Turner)
Subject   Re: st: -xmlsave- to Excel (for Mac?)
Date   Wed, 05 Apr 2006 15:02:23 -0500

On Apr 5, 2006, at 11:04 AM, wrote:
> I am using S/E 9.1 for Macintosh.  Perhaps I am missing something
> woefully obvious, but shouldn't the use of -xmlsave- create a file
> that is readable by Excel??  As I understand the help file, the
> following syntax ought to create a file (generic spreadsheet) that
> Excel can read:
> xmlsave gofigure, doc(excel)
> After gofigure.xml is created, the file can be opened w/ a text
> editor, albeit not w/ MS Excel.  Could this be because I'm using a
> Mac??

There appears to be a bug in the Mac version of Microsoft Excel, in that it
doesn't truly parse the XML spec:

If you open the XML file produced by Stata you will see the first line looks

	<?xml version='1.0' encoding='US-ASCII' standalone='yes'?>

If you (using any text editor) change all the single quotes on this line to
double quotes, Excel for Mac will properly parse the document. The modified
line would look like:

	<?xml version="1.0" encoding="US-ASCII" standalone="yes"?>

The use of single versus double quotes should not matter based on the XML spec
( that defines the xml tag in the
prolog of the document.

So, while it is perfectly legal to use single quotes, the next exectable update
of Stata will have a change to -xmlsave- to use double quotes for the sake of
allowing the Mac Excel parser to read the document.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.