st: -ineqdeco- and inequality decomposition by population subgroup

From   "Stephen P. Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -ineqdeco- and inequality decomposition by population subgroup
Date   Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:36:55 +0100

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 15:13:39 +0100 (BST)
From: sara hussain <[email protected]>
Subject: st: Inequality: dynamic decomposition

Dear Stata users,

I would like to undertake a dynamic decomposition of
inequality (i.e. pure inequality and compositional
effects) given by Mookhrerjee and Shorrocks (1982) and
applied by Jenkins (1995). I have looked at ineqdeco
and I don't think that this routime can be used. Any
suggestion would be most apprecaited.

====================================

-ineqdeco- reports all the components that are used in the
decompositions by population subgroup of inequality change proposed by
Mookherjee and Shorrocks (Economic Journal 1982) and applied by Jenkins
(Economica 1995).  You run the program once for year A and again for
year B. The articles focussed on the mean log deviation inequality index
(generalised entropy index with parameter alpha = 0)

What -ineqdeco- does not currently do is save all of the estimated
components as saved results in r(). (When I revise the program in
future, I shall be addressing this issue.)  So, for the decompositions
of inequality change, you have to retrieve the estimates by hand from a
log file

Stephen  (author of -ineqdeco- and -ineqdec0- )
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk
Survival Analysis using Stata:
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/teaching/degree/stephenj/ec968/