st: memory required for -merge-

From   jean ries <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: memory required for -merge-
Date   Thu, 09 Mar 2006 14:17:19 +0100

Danielle H Ferry wrote:

Is there a rule for the amount of memory required for -merge-? I keep getting a "no room to add more variables due to width" error on the same merge. I am attempting to -merge- on only one variable (placefip), and 67% of memory is free before I attempt the -merge- (i.e., while the "master" dataset is loaded). The "using dataset is small, and I've got the memory set quite high (900m). So, I can't understand why I am running into memory problems.

If you want to learn about the size of your dataset, you should read this:

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/howbig.html

Before merging, you should also try to -compress- your datasets. One thing I have spotted is the "place_name" variable in your second dataset. According to the information you provide, this is a str39 variable. Do you really need this variable? Isn't it redundant with e.g. "placefip"? If it is, drop it. If it isn't, try to shorten it, by using e.g. abbreviations. Alternatively, you could try to replace it by a numerical value, with (perhaps) value labels.

Hope this helps,

jean
*
* For searches and help try: