Re: st: Re: test for time trend

From   Christoph Birkel <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: test for time trend
Date   Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:55:36 +0100

Cornelia Schmidt schrieb:

Dear Mike and Clive,

thank you very much for your suggestions. To provide a bit more information:
the dependent variable of my analysis is education spending (% GDP). I decided to limit the period under investigation to 1980-2000. The panel is highly unbalanced due to a large number of missings on the dependent variable.

In order to test whether there is a positive time-trend in he education spending data, I first did a Fisher test for panel data. Compared to other stationarity tests, it has the advantage of being feasible for unbalanced panels. Based on the p-values of individual unit root tests, it assumes that all series are non-stationary under the null hypothesis against the alternative that at least one series in the panel is stationary. This reveals drawbacks of the test. In my analysis, I would actually be interested in testing a null assuming stationarity of the data. The p-values of the Fisher test do not tell anything about that. If the null hypothesis is rejected this does not imply that all series are stationary. Therefore, in my opinion, the power of the test is quite limited.
The Hadri-LM-Test (for which an ado-file-exists) allows to test the null of stationarity of all series. Unfortunately, according to simulation studies, its size explodes as soon as there is some serial correlation in the data, so it is quite useless in practice.

To get a better understanding of whether the series of some countries are non-stationary, I tried to run time-series stationarity-tests for every country. And here I have some questions: I tried a DF-GLS unit-root test but it seems that it does not work with missings in the time series. Alternatively, I used a Phillips-Perron and an Augmented Dickey-Fuller unit-root test which both worked with my data. Do you know which of these tests best fits? Can they be used alternatively or in which respects do they differ?
The basic difference between the ADF and Phillips Perron-Tests is that the former uses a parametric correction for serial correlation (adding lagged differences), whereas the latter a non-parametric one, which is known to be very problematic (i.e.: leading to large size distortions) if there is a negative MA-process in the residuals; so ADF might be preferable. Independent of the test you use, the power will be very low with series of this length (T=20), so it is no wonder that the unit-root hypothesis cannot be rejected.

The test results indicate that I cannot reject the null hypothesis of non-stationarity for most of the countries. As I have so many missings in my dataset, it is hardly possible to use a first-difference estimation to correct for the time trend. Do you know an alternative way? Would it be an option to take a time variable into the model?
Including a time variable would be valid only under the assumption that there is a deterministic time trend in your data, while your results point to a stochastic trend. You might think about period-specific fixed effects , which would take a stochastic trend common to all units out of the data (but not individual-specific unit-root processes). Alternatively, if you are interested in long-run relationships and some of the covariates are also non-stationary, you might consider testing for cointegration (unfortunately there are no such tests available in STATA, but a rough test would be to check for stationarity of the regression residuals) and estimating an Error-Correction-Model.

Hope my comments are of use.

Christoph