Re: st: Re: A new package.

From   Rose Medeiros <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: A new package.
Date   Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:52:59 -0500

Ronnie,
Thanks for the suggestion, do you have a recommendation for a publisher?
Also, thank you for your more serious comments on the command. I will implement your first suggestion, the second is a little more interesting. After getting a couple of emails about this issue, I opened a new session of Stata and tried it myself (when I was writing the ado file, I reran it enough times that this behavior wasn't apparent). What I find is that for the first 9 or so times I use the command I get the same two quotes, after that I start to get other quotes. In the first 9 runs, I always get quotes 1 and 6. There are actually 7 quotes in the current file, to randomly select one of them I use the following :
local r = round(uniform()*10,1)
(Note: I realize that multiplying by 10 is unnecessary, but it was easier for me to keep track of whole numbers mentally while writing the file.)
Out of curiosity, I reopened Stata and looked at the first 10 numbers generated by -uniform()- (I have done this in both Stata 7 and 9). I get the following, which is consistent with the way -njc- is acting:
.13698408
.64322067
.5578017
.60479494
.68417598
.10866794
.61845813
.06106378
.55523883
.87144908
All but the last round to either 1 or 6. So this is why this happens. I will update the package with some changes that will make this behavior less obvious sometime soon.
Best,
Rose

Ronnie Babigumira wrote:

Rose, nice going (and please keep it updated). May I suggest a worthwhile "next project". A book

Nickisms : The Slate Book of The Wit and Wisdom of Dr. Nicholas J. Cox.

More seriously, i tried out your command and here are some comments
1. You should add a line in the help file indicating that typing njc will give one randomly selected quote
2 I have only been able to get two quotes after trying 10 times, any ideas why this is happening

If you ever take up the book idea, I will be more than glad to contribute

Ronnie

Rose Medeiros wrote:

It was intended as a bit of a surprise, but the package randomly displays one of a small collection quotes from Nick Cox. The pkg file has been updated with information that is also in the help file.

And per Kit Baum's correction, the correct command is - net describe http://pubpages.unh.edu/~rosem/stata/njc -

To access via a web browser, use: http://pubpages.unh.edu/~rosem/stata/

Michael Blasnik wrote:

Would you care to tell anyone what this package does? Strangely enough, you don't even describe what the package is if one actually uses -net describe-

Michael Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rose Medeiros" <[email protected]>