RE: st: Using wildcards with string values of a variable

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Using wildcards with string values of a variable
Date   Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:08:36 -0000

In addition

replace ID

needs to be followed immediately by an equals sign.

In your case, your criterion seems to be that
the first three characters are "fill". If so,
the whole apparatus of wildcards, matching,
regular expressions and what have you can be
avoided by using -substr()-.

gen id2 = id
replace id2 = "filled" if substr(id,1,3) == "fill"

or even

gen id2 = cond(substr(id,1,3) == "fill", "filled", id)

Fred Wolfe

> See this function from Stata help
>
>   strmatch(s1,s2) evaluates to 1 if s1 matches the pattern
> s2; otherwise,
> it returns 0.

Joanna