st: significance of model improvement using log pseudolikelihood?

From   Bart Vanneste <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: significance of model improvement using log pseudolikelihood?
Date   Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:09:48 +0100

Dear,

How can I test the significance of model improvement if only the log
pseudolikelihood is given?

Can I still use LRtest?

I have two nested models, which I estimate using tobit regression with
clustering. Since the observations are no longer independent, STATA
returns the log PSEUDOlikelihood (instead of the log likelihood
without the clustering). I would like to know if model 2 offers a
significantly better fit than model 1 (with model 1 contained in model
2).

On the STATA website, it is argued that lrtest is not valid when using
pseudolikelihoods. The argument seems to focus on testing of a group
of coefficients, and it's not clear whether the lrtest is also invalid
when assessing (increases in) model fit. See:
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/lrtest.html

Many thanks,
Bart Vanneste