st: RE: programming question

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: programming question
Date   Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:59:37 -0000

Allan is travelling down a beaten path.

. ssc desc sto

package sto from http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/s

TITLE
      'STO': module to toggle trace switch

DESCRIPTION/AUTHOR(S)

      sto (set trace on/off) toggles the current setting of the trace
      switch. This is useful only in Stata 6 or Stata 7.  In Stata 8,
      set trace is pushed and popped  within a program, meaning that
      sto has no effect  beyond its own termination, and thus no
      useful consequence.

      KW: programming
      KW: set trace

      Requires: Stata version 6.0 (not 8.0)

      Author: Nicholas J. Cox, University of Durham
      Support: email  [email protected]

      Distribution-Date: 20030326

INSTALLATION FILES                                  (type net install sto)
      sto.ado
      sto.hlp
(type -ssc install sto- to install)

What is more, you can't work around this by using -version-
control.

I am not sure IF this is documented anywhere.

Perhaps StataCorp would consider a wired-in command, say
-sto-, which toggles -trace- on and off, as I agree with
Allan: typing the full commands repeatedly in a prolonged
debugging session is a little tedious.

Otherwise Michael Hanson's idea is the best I can come up with.

Allan Garland