st: missing authors

From   Ron�n Conroy <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: missing authors
Date   Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:39:39 +0000

On 24 Samh 2005, at 12:49, Marcello Pagano wrote:

I don't know about the ethics of putting your name on the authorship list when
you don't understand what is going on in the paper, but I leave that to others
to judge.
Any authorship guidelines which mention statistics state that one of the authors must take responsibility for the appropriateness of the statistical methods and the accuracy of their description. One author must take this responsibility, but not all authors need to understand the technicalities of the statistical method (though if they don't understand it, it suggests that an average reader won't either).

Too often, statisticians hear the phrase 'and we must get a para from you describing the statisical methods'. This is fine if you simply did an analysis specified by the researcher. But if you took important decisions about how to analyse and present the data, you should put your name to them and accept responsibility. And, of course, credit.

Note really Stata stuff, but Marcello has put his finger on a moot point that I couldn't resist following up.

Ron�n Conroy

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/