st: Re: GINI Inequality Index Question

From   "R.E. De Hoyos" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: GINI Inequality Index Question
Date   Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:41:35 -0000

ssc install ineqfac

ineqfac inc1 inc2...incK [aw=population]

This will give you the contribution of each factor "k" to total income inequality, regardless of the inequality index used. For the theoretical background see Shorrocks (1982), Econometrica.

R.E. De Hoyos
Faculty of Economics
University of Cambridge

----- Original Message ----- From: "Di Han" <>
To: <>
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 2:50 PM
Subject: st: GINI Inequality Index Question

I have a problem regarding Gini Coefficient. I have data like this
region population income(total) income source1 income source2
Beijing 1072 2000 1500 500

I want to calculate the Gini coefficient weighted by population. And I want to decompose the contribution of each resource to the Gini Coefficient. So which ado file I shoule use in STATA and how about the command?
I used inequal, and used command "inequal income(total)", but it seems that it just calculated the gini index and did not take the population into consideration. So could you help me?
Thanks very much!!
Di Han
* For searches and help try: