st: RE: St: a bug in stphplot?

From   "Steichen, Thomas J." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: St: a bug in stphplot?
Date   Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:20:36 -0500

Plummer, Dale writes (in part):
> We have found what looks like a bug in stphplot.
> If value labels are defined
> that contain an equal sign then the label is truncated
> at the equal sign when the
> label is used in the legend produced by stphplot.
> Have I overlooked something?

No, it looks like a bug to me.  It occurs when the code
tries to tokenize the category label, parsing on "==".

Apparently Stata treats the == as a parse character
(note singular) being accidentally entered twice, therefore
setting parse() equal to "=".  Just as Stata would ignore
multiple spaces in a row, or a comma-space combination, it
freely parses =, ==, or ===, etc. as a single token split.

We see in the code:
- tokenize "`vlbl`i''", parse("==")
= tokenize "bearings==abnormal=no", parse("==")
- cap confirm number `3'
= cap confirm number abnormal

The third token is "abnormal" rather than "abnormal=no".

Tom

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail message, including any attachment(s),
contains information that may be confidential, protected by the
attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-
public information. If you are not an intended recipient of this
message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please
notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from
your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this
message and/or any of its attachments (if any) by unintended recipients
is not authorized and may be unlawful.