RE: st: math fonts/symbols

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: math fonts/symbols
Date   Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:37:34 -0000

A detail that I don't think I have seen discussed in
this thread, but one that has often arisen in the work of my students:

My own Department (of Geography) is a Word shop, and
as most of my colleagues don't use any equations ever
that may well be a good decision for them. I am the only
TeX user in the whole place (although far from the only
Stata user). I use Word only when obliged to. So, my students
grow up in this atmosphere, which is stronger than I am.

As many will know, TeX and LaTeX use the same instructions
for displayed mathematics and in-text mathematics, apart
from the syntax to say which is which. My students give
me the impression that using Word means, practically, using
the Equation Editor for displayed and other bits of Word
for in-text. The consequence is, typically, inconsistent
fonts, etc., as well as the rather ugly typesetting that
several others mention.

Are my students missing something (apart from TeX etc.)?