RE: Spam: st: math fonts/symbols

From   "Olley, G. Steven" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: Spam: st: math fonts/symbols
Date   Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:18:56 -0500

To typeset properly, I believe the TeX code also requires a backslash in
front of the first instance of "beta" (the intercept).  Otherwise the
word "beta" will be covered with a hat.  These details are what many
users unfamiliar with TeX or LaTeX find challenging.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Kit Baum
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 7:05 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Spam: st: math fonts/symbols

Leny suggested MathType to Suzy. Note that M$ Word's Equation Editor
is "MathType Lite": Microsoft licenses a light version of MathType as
Equation Editor for Word. Both MathType and EE have the same problems
with updates: every update of Word and/or MathType makes life more
than miserable (believe me, I have a few colleagues who have been
badly bitten by this).

The other unsavory feature for those who might contemplate producing
a reasonably large document with a fair amount of equations in Word/
EE should ensure that their life insurance covers death by suicide.
With such a document, the probability that Word will crash approaches
unity. Put enough of those EE / MathType graphic objects into your
document, and Word will croak, leaving the file in a corrupted state.
Yes, I have seen this happen to colleagues' 60-page papers (some of
which had to be retyped from scratch) and, worse yet, to PhD
candidates' final dissertation drafts. Thankfully now most of the PhD
candidates have seen the light and avoid Word/EE like the plague.

A clarification: in my prior message the example math should be $\hat
{y} = \hat{beta}_0 + \hat {\beta}_1$
I had an extra } in the posting.  { } are used to surround arguments;
i.e. {\bf This is Bold} means just that.

One other very attractive feature of LaTeX for Stata users: since
LaTeX is a simple text markup language, like HTML or XML, it can
readily be created by Stata ado-files. A number of ado-files give you
the option to produce camera-ready tables from Stata output: e.g. Ben
Jann's estout, presented in the latest issue of the Stata Journal. No
fussing around copying and pasting Stata output to Word or Excel!
UCLA's excellent Stata website have many references to Stata tools
for LaTeX; findit latex within Stata will display the list.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally privileged.  If you received this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information contained herein.  Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail.

Thank you for your cooperation.