Re: st: `x' notation

From   "Svend Juul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: `x' notation
Date   Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:19:42 +0200

Terra wrote:

I have a forvalues loop I'm trying to run:
forvalues x=1989(1)2005 {
  forvalues y=1(1)12 {
   if `x'==2005 & `y'>8 continue
   gen
mktgprof`y'`x'=(det`y'`x')/(det`launchdatemo'`launchdateyr')
   }
}
And when I run that I get the following error:
det ambiguous abbreviation
r(111);
end of do-file
r(111);
After some experimenting I know that the problem lies in
the(det`launchdatemo'`launchdateyr') part.  I need the denominator to refer
to, for example, the variable det11989 if launchdate (one of my variables)
for that observation is equal 1/1/1989.  I have created two variables,
launchdatemo and launchdateyr which are the launch date month and year,
respectively. That's what I'm trying to refer to in the denominator above....
--------------------------------------

It looks as if you try to handle launchdatemo and launchdateyr as macros,
but according to your description they are variables. Try a debug.
Before running your commands:
   . set trace on
   . set tracedepth 1
and see what happens. This lets check whether your macros expanded to what
you expected. In this case `launchdatemo' and `launchdateyr' probably
expanded to nothing, hence the error message on det being an ambiguous
abbreviation.

Hope this helps
Svend

Svend Juul