st: RE: `x' notation

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: `x' notation
Date   Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:22:50 +0100

Unless your locals

launchdatemo
launchdateyr

are defined the loop sees just

det

which is, as stated, ambiguous. It is more difficult to
say how to do what I think you want to do.

The crunch is that each time around each loop any local macro has to
evaluate to one string value. What you are hoping is that
it can, simultaneously, evaluate to several string values,
one of which will be chosen in each of several cases.
but there is no way this can happen.

I suspect you need at least one more loop to this.

Also I guess wildly that your data structure is quite
the wrong way round to do much easily in Stata. Solve
this problem, and other problems will be just as messy.
Consider reshaping to panel data structure, and much
may be a lot easier.

You need a really thorough knowledge of quite what local
macros are and can do, based on careful reading of [U].

Terra Curtis