Re: st: weights from multiple dimensions

From   Steven Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: weights from multiple dimensions
Date   Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:50:29 -0400

"search survwgt, all" to find a program by Nick Winter that does survey raking, the technical name for what you want.

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 02:42:34 -0700
From: "Munro, Cameron" <>
Subject: st: weights from multiple dimensions

I'm pondering over a rather common problem, and am wondering whether there is a package within Stata to help me do this. I need to reweight my sample according to income, age and gender of the whole population. Obviously I can get the population proportions for each combination (income x age x gender) easily enough and then determine weights from the proportions in my sample, but this doesn't account for unobserved combinations when I apply such weights. I understand Stata 9 has some added post stratification features which may (?) be of use, but I'm using Stata 8. Can anyone offer any pointers?

Many thanks,

* For searches and help try: