st: Re: weights from multiple dimensions

Subject   st: Re: weights from multiple dimensions
Date   Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:15:19 -0400

I think if you have unobserved combinations of the startification variables in your sample, then you can't get a population estimate without making some added assumptions. In the simplest example, if you are stratifying on gender and your sample only includes males then you can't get an overall estimate for a population that includes females.

You can still get a population estimate for males though. If you use weights based on a standard population and apply them to the sample, your resulting point estimate should still be OK as an estimator for the restricted part of the population that your sample covers, but not for the overall population.

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Munro, Cameron" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 5:42 AM
Subject: st: weights from multiple dimensions

I'm pondering over a rather common problem, and am wondering whether there is a package within Stata to help me do this. I need to reweight my sample according to income, age and gender of the whole population. Obviously I can get the population proportions for each combination (income x age x gender) easily enough and then determine weights from the proportions in my sample, but this doesn't account for unobserved combinations when I apply such weights. I understand Stata 9 has some added post stratification features which may (?) be of use, but I'm using Stata 8. Can anyone offer any pointers?

Many thanks,

Cameron.