st: Recast string to numeric?

From   "Terra Curtis" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Recast string to numeric?
Date   Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:01:14 -0400

Dear Statlisters,

I have used a program called Stat Transfer to transfer a dataset I had saved
in Excel into a Stata .dta file.  The missing values in Excel were recorded
as "--" so Stata recognizes those variables as strings.  I would like Stata
to recognize them as values; any datapoint not equal "--" is a number.  I've
tried -recast- but I don't think this is what I want.  How can I change the
variable to be a number instead of a string?

Thanks much,