st: Re: Recast string to numeric?

From   "Michael Blasnik" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: Recast string to numeric?
Date   Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:45:36 -0400

check out the ignore option to ignore the --

Michael Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- From: "Terra Curtis" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 6:01 PM
Subject: st: Recast string to numeric?

Dear Statlisters,

I have used a program called Stat Transfer to transfer a dataset I had saved
in Excel into a Stata .dta file. The missing values in Excel were recorded
as "--" so Stata recognizes those variables as strings. I would like Stata
to recognize them as values; any datapoint not equal "--" is a number. I've
tried -recast- but I don't think this is what I want. How can I change the
variable to be a number instead of a string?

Thanks much,