Re: st: missing values with outsheet/outfile

From   Jean-Benoit Hardouin <>
Subject   Re: st: missing values with outsheet/outfile
Date   Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:44:09 +0200

Nick Cox a écrit :

-outfile- seems to use the Stata code for missing anyway.
Mmh That's right. I have certainely made an error when I have tested an exportation with this command. I don't understand ! Sorry !

I guess the history with -outsheet- was that it produced files for reading into other software for which Stata conventions were irrelevant.
It sounds as if there should be an option
for -outsheet- to provide this. Recourse
to -tostring- may solve the problem, but at best it is a work-around (not that I have anything against -tostring-).
Joseph Coveney

Jean-Benoit Hardouin wrote:

how can I obtain a point (.) instead a blank in the text file with -outsheet- or -outfile- for a numerical variable ?

You can use -tostring- just prior to -outsheet- in order to create a string
variable that contains a point whereever the numeric variable was missing.

* For searches and help try:

Jean-Benoit Hardouin
Observatoire Régional de la Santé du Centre
BP 2439
1, rue Porte Madeleine
45032 Orléans Cedex 1
tél : 02 38 74 48 80