RE: st: create a variable based on a recurring value in a varlist

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: create a variable based on a recurring value in a varlist
Date   Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:42:52 +0100

My code solved your problem as stated! But
I appreciate that missings should be ignored.

Try this. Here -1 will be returned in -same-
if and only all PIDs are missing.

gen long id = _n
reshape long PID, i(id)
bysort id (PID) : gen same = cond(mi(PID), -1, PID == PID[_n-1])
bysort id (same) : replace same = same[_N]
reshape wide

Derek Darves