Re: st: random sampling [was: randomly assign btw datasets]

From   "Svend Juul" <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: random sampling [was: randomly assign btw datasets]
Date   Sun, 9 Oct 2005 11:40:00 +0200

Aaron wrote:
I want to randomly assign, with replacement, 200 industry SIC codes
to 10,000 firms. How can I do it in Stata?

I don't know what SIC codes are. In the solution below I assume that
they somehow can be numbered from 1 to 200.

The first three lines generate a small artificial dataset, just for the
demonstration. On the functions used, see:
   . help uniform()
   . help int()

set obs 100
gen firm=_n