st: RE: Plain text Messages on Statalist

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Plain text Messages on Statalist
Date   Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:39:57 +0100

I am not clear what you are asking here. The
statement in the FAQ is a clear request with
a very clear rationale. But people do not get
thrown off Statalist for failing to comply.
I do gather that many people delete HTML unread
because they regard it as anti-social and unreadable
in any case. Much depends on whether your mailer
can digest it.

There is plenty of evidence that many people who
send HTML have the facility to send plain text, but
just do not do this, usually as an oversight.

What are you saying is that some people cannot
produce plain text. At worse, those people will find
that their messages cannot get through or that they get some
flak from list members such as myself for sending
HTML. If anyone objects to that, which is pretty mild,
perhaps they should consider not posting
to Statalist if they cannot comply with its
recommendations, which are long-standing, or starting
another list run according to their practices.

Alternatively, if people have tried hard to find out a
way to do this and failed, then they are at liberty to
state that fact on their emails.

I cannot see a case for changing the FAQ here.

Thomas Speidel