st: poisson regression predicted values

From   Richard Goldstein <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: poisson regression predicted values
Date   Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:01:23 -0400

Dear listers:

I have estimated a poisson regression (includes some interaction terms and uses cluster SE's). After estimation I obtained predicted values (-predict newvar, ir-) and some of the IR's are greater than 1.0 (Similarly, using -predict newvar- gives some counts that are greater than the exposure (or denominator).) I have not known this to occur before and have the following questions:

1. is this a serious problem?

2. (esp. if answer to 1 is "yes") -- what might cause this and, therefor, what can I do about it?

Rich Goldstein

* For searches and help try: