st: RE: [Stata 9] Syntax Highlighting?

From   "Joly, Patrick: IASSB" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: [Stata 9] Syntax Highlighting?
Date   Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:51:03 -0400

Raphael Fraser
> Does Stata 9 Do-file Editor supports syntax highlighting?
> And for the folks at Stata Corp.; if the answer is no then why not?

To which I'd reply why not not?  There are plenty of top-notch text editors out there that do just that.  (See the Text editor FAQ at

It's not Stata's comparative advantage to venture any further into the text editor business.  It's one think to ask Stata to add a simple 'find' feature or the like, but syntax highlighting goes far beyond that.  StataCorp's business is to make a bleeding-edge Stats package, period.

Patrick Joly