Re: st: too many menus message

From   James Muller <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: too many menus message
Date   Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:03:16 +1000

This isn't a solution to your particular problem, but a different
approach that might be more organized overall. There is probably some
hardwired limit to the definable number of menus.

Instead of cramming so many menus together in the usual fashion you
could create a custom GUI for yourself. So, for example, write a
command that opens up a window with a series of buttons and such that
do what you want - really depends on what you are wanting to do. I
think all that stuff is in the graphics manual - examples will exist
within your adopath. Having never implemented any such interface in
Stata, I can't give much more advice on custom GUI interfaces than
than.

Menus are more designed for a relatively small set of commands,
probably as a token gesture to make Stata less intimidating.

Another alternative, which seems vastly more efficient and organized
than either approach, would be to use the regular command input.
Faster, less pointing and clicking, help accessible more easily, less
administration, etc., etc.

What are you doing with so many menus anyway??

Cheers

James