st: Merging and counting variables

From   "DE S" <>
Subject   st: Merging and counting variables
Date   Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:36:24 -0400

Hello Statalisters,

I've reviewed the Stata Manual and to no avail. Here is my question.

I have a master set with R county and states. County and State are appended to read, "New YorkNY", for example. I also have an association dataset that lists all national organizations and their corresponding county/state, also appended as "New YorkNY." I want to merge the datasets and find out how many associations exist in each respondent's county. For example, if R1 lives in NY, NY, I want to have a variable that will spit out "100" for the 100 organizations that exist there.

I'd appreciate your help immensely.

Thank you,
Dari E. Sylvester

* For searches and help try: