st: Problem with xtmixed after gam (was:xtmixed broken in Stata 9.1?)

From   "Dr. Stephen Rothenberg" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Problem with xtmixed after gam (was:xtmixed broken in Stata 9.1?)
Date   Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:34:42 -0500

The problem was solved by exiting Stata, shutting down the machine, booting up cold and re-running the commands.

Previous to the xtmixed problems I had been running a set of -gam- models on another data set.

After successfully running -xtmixed- on a clean machine and unused Stata session, I then tried a -gam- analysis and went back to -xtmixed-. The problem re-appeared.

Apparently -gam- now does something bad to Stata 9.1, leaving it in a state from which it cannot use what -xtmixed requires. Perhaps its call to a FORTRAN program is what screws up the subsequent -xtmixed-. The problem doesn't occur after -gam- when I run the "pig" data set with regress nor when I try -xtreg, mle-, but I don't have time to exhaustively test all the -xt- commands

Does anyone know if Patrick Royston or Gareth Ambler, the authors of -gam-, are still members of statalist?

Thanks for clueing me that it was something I had done, Nick, and not general to Stata 9.1.

Best,
Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 3:08 PM
Subject: st: RE: Re: RE: xtmixed broken in Stata 9.1?

That clearly looks OK. The explanation
must therefore lie elsewhere, but I've
run out of ideas.

Dr. Stephen Rothenberg

Here is my update status:

-------------------
update query
-------------------
(contacting http://www.stata.com)

Stata executable
    folder:               C:\Program Files\Stata9\
    name of file:         wsestata.exe
    currently installed:  15 Sep 2005
    latest available:     15 Sep 2005

Ado-file updates
    folder:               C:\Program Files\Stata9\ado\updates\
    names of files:       (various)
    currently installed:  19 Sep 2005
    latest available:     19 Sep 2005

Recommendation
    Do nothing; all files up to date.

Click to edit automatic update checking preferences
Nick Cox

> This works for me.
>
> Perhaps you updated your executable, but not
> the other files.
Dr. Stephen Rothenberg