Re: st: Newey-West (also follows xtivreg2)

From   "Andrea Molinari" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Newey-West (also follows xtivreg2)
Date   Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:44:37 +0100

Appologies if this message comes across twice, I'm having problems with my
server this morning...
----------------------
Clive,

Thanks for your suggestion. I didn't show an output because I was just
trying to find a more efficient and less time-consuming solution to
estimating a fixed effects model which has HAC-corrected standard errors.  I
tried -ivreg2- and it works fine for pooled OLS, but, as with -newey2- (and
as far as I understood), it would only estimate a fixed effects model when
introducing the dummies myself (hence running the risk of some of them being
dropped. Do you know of any other way?

I tried first converting the data with -xtdata,fe- (following what Joanna
found in the archive), but when I then try to run ivreg2 I get an error
message. What I did was:

use datas.dta, clear
iis mx

tis year

tsset mx year

xtdata, fe

ivreg2 lremmetal lrepmetalg lrecmetalg lrgdp95pcm lrgdp95pcx lbrer btmetal
rcametalx, bw(2) robust small
must tsset data and specify timevar

************

and if I do (again):

tsset mx year

I get the error message:

"time variable must contain only integer values"

I hope that's clearer than in my previous email. I saw a reply by Mark
Schaffer saying that he had a version of -xtivreg2- for fixed effects, and
it would be great trying it... Any suggestions would be more than
welcomed!!!

Many thanks,

Andrea