Re: st: Concentration Curve and Index

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Concentration Curve and Index
Date   Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:42:14 +0100

At 15:36 05/09/2005, Tina wrote:
Hello Statalist

I am looking at income inequalities in health and using the
concentration curve and concentration index (based on the Gini and the
Lorenz curve).

I managed to draw a graph and calculated the index number. However I
know there must be a better way then mine since I do not get any
standard deviations or confidence intervals my way... others are
reporting those.

(The way I did it was just by sorting by income, and adding % of total
population health cumulatively, starting from the least advantaged
individual based on family income. Then I drew a curve based on this
information. The index number is supposed to be twice the area between
the line of equality and the concentration curve.  For the Index I
simply calculated the difference between the curve i calculated and
the line of equality and doubled that number.  Basically, I just
worked my way to the answer through the theory behind the curve and
the index.)

I haven't found one paper that describes how this was calculated,
which means it is probably so easy that it should be obvious. I have
looked all over older statalist mails and the Internet and am still in
the dark. Is there a regression involved that I do not know about? Do
any of you know it?

The -somersd- package, downloadable from SSC, can calculate confidence intervals for the Gini index, with the option of using the variance-stabilizing z-transformation. In Stata, type

ssc install somersd, replace

to install the latest Stata 9 version of -somersd-, and type

net get somersd

to copy the manuals -somersd.pdf- and -cendif.pdf- to your local folder. The manual -somersd.pdf- contains an example of the calculation of confidence intervals for Gini indices using -somersd-, and an explanation of why the Gini index is a special case of Somers' D.

I hope this helps.

Roger

--
Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics

5th Floor, Capital House
42 Weston Street
London SE1 3QD
United Kingdom

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605
Email: [email protected]
Website: http://phs.kcl.ac.uk/rogernewson/

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/