st: Concentration Curve and Index

From   TinnaLaufey Asgeirsdottir <>
Subject   st: Concentration Curve and Index
Date   Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:36:13 +0000

Hello Statalist
I am looking at income inequalities in health and using the
concentration curve and concentration index (based on the Gini and the
Lorenz curve).
I managed to draw a graph and calculated the index number. However I
know there must be a better way then mine since I do not get any
standard deviations or confidence intervals my way... others are
reporting those.
(The way I did it was just by sorting by income, and adding % of total
population health cumulatively, starting from the least advantaged
individual based on family income. Then I drew a curve based on this
information. The index number is supposed to be twice the area between
the line of equality and the concentration curve.  For the Index I
simply calculated the difference between the curve i calculated and
the line of equality and doubled that number.  Basically, I just
worked my way to the answer through the theory behind the curve and
the index.)
I haven't found one paper that describes how this was calculated,
which means it is probably so easy that it should be obvious. I have
looked all over older statalist mails and the Internet and am still in
the dark. Is there a regression involved that I do not know about? Do
any of you know it?
Thank you