Re: st: outreg adds minus symbol to se's

From   "roy wada" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: outreg adds minus symbol to se's
Date   Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:26:54 -0400

I think the -outreg- is the most popular ssc download for a good reason.
It's simple and easy to use. I am very fond of -outreg- myself. I don't like
to use -estout-, which requires me to store the estimates. -estimates store-
does not work well when I am using a very large dataset (the computer runs
out of the memory when I try to store more than several estimates).

As it has been pointed out, the minus symbol for the standard error is a
problem with Excel. You can fix it like this:

Save the output file as a text file with a .txt extension.

outreg using C:\temp\zmincult2.txt, bdec(2) se nolabel replace

In Excel, you open it as a text file (if you don't see your file, make sure
you set the File Type to all). Excel will take you to the "Text Import
Wizard". At the Step 3 of 3, highlight all columns (shift-down and
right-click on all the columns) and then click the Text option for the
"Column data format." (The default mode is General, which interprets the
parenthesis as a negative cash flow, as in accounting.) This will import all
characters as text.

Roy Wada

Wouter van Gils wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm a newby in using Stata, but like it very much. A few days ago I tried
>the outreg package to export my results to Excel. The export of
>coefficients works fine, but the standard errors turn negative when I use
>the 'coefastr' option. (The coefastr tag marks the coefficients with
>significance levels instead of the se's or t-values.)

Richard Williams, Notre Dame Dept of Sociology wrote:

It is interesting that -outreg- continues to be the #1 downloaded
program, even though it hasn't been updated in years and is
apparently no longer supported by the author.  Since you are a
newbie, I suggest you get off on the right track and try -estout-
instead.  Most people think it is at least as good or better as
-outreg- and the author continues to support and update it.    I
don't know about this particular issue, but my guess is that any
problems in -estout- are much more likely to eventually get fixed
than any problems that exist in -outreg-.